One of the biggest problems when you use a database Xtra developed for Director is the need to code tools in Lingo to import, edit and visualize data. Database xtras are scripting xtras in Director, and usually offer no graphical interface that can be used to manipulate databases and records. The lack of an easy to use tool to work with database files is usually a barrier for developers that are beggining to use the Lingo language, and adds significantly to the development time of a Director project with database support.
In order to address this problem the Arca Database Xtra comes with a companion application used to create, inspect and edit databases, the Arca Database Browser. It is a free, high performance C++ application, developed by Tabuleiro to aid creation of Arca databases and editing of data using a GUI and a familiar spreadsheet-like interface. It runs natively on Windows, MacOSX and Linux, and can be distributed free of charge to your customers.
Some of the features of the Arca Database Browser are:
- Search, browse and edit records using a spreadsheet interface;
- Import and export text from records (Copy and paste are also enabled);
- View, import and export JPEG and PNG/BMP images directly to/from records. Imported JPEG images are saved with their JPEG data intact without any recompression, and PNG/BMP files are converted directly to Lingo imaging objects, ready to be used in Lingo imaging routines.
- Create, delete and modify tables;
- Create, delete and modify fields;
- Create and delete indexes;
- Import and Export tables from/to comma separated text files (csv). These files can be created or used for example in MS Excel or MS Access for data exchange.
- Import and Export databases from/to .SQL dump files. These files can be loaded and created for example to facilitate data exchange with other database engines, or to backup and reload database files.
- Execute SQL queries directly using a visual interface. This is a quick way to test your SQL queries and improve your knowledge of SQL syntax, without the need to code a single line of Lingo. Error codes and results can be checked immediately in a convenient column layout.
- Ability to save changes to the database or revert to the previously saved version. This is useful to experiment with SQL queries without any risk of data loss.
You can download it here.